Abeir-Toril is the name of the fictional planet on which the Forgotten Realms is set. The name is archaic, meaning "cradle of life." It consists of various continents and islands, including Faerûn, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica, Osse, Anchorome and Katashaka, a sub-Saharan-like continent south of Maztica, where humanity appeared.
Toril was the name of Jeff Grubb's campaign world, and it was adopted as the name of the planet with the continent Faerûn when he and Ed Greenwood were designing the original Forgotten Realms Boxed Set in 1987. Abeir- was added as a prefix so that the world's name was placed at the beginning of an alphabetical encyclopedia.
- ↑ Tom Costa (2005). "Africa in the Realms". http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=466916. Retrieved 2007-03-19. "I know several folks (myself included) who transplanted Atlas Games’ excellent Nyambe (with some tweaks), which also built off many of the old 2E articles in Dragon on African gaming, to the large undefined continent southwest of Nimbral and southeast of Maztica"
- ↑ Brian R. James (2006-05). "A Grand History of the Realms" (PDF). pp. p.8. http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/A%20Grand%20History%20of%20the%20Realms.pdf. "Today, many sages surmise that humanity first appeared in the northern savannas of Katashaka around -34,000 DR"
- Toril page on official Spelljammer website
- A Scholar’s view of Toril Map of the planet, with all the unknown continents
- Article at the Spanish Wikipedia
- Article at the French Wikipedia
- Article at the Italian Wikipedia
- Article at the Polish Wikipedia
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|