|Doctor Who character|
|Affiliated with||Eleventh Doctor|
|Appears in||Doctor Who (series 5)|
|Portrayed by||Karen Gillan|
Amy Pond is a fictional character portrayed by Karen Gillan in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. Amy is to be the new companion of series protagonist the Doctor, in his eleventh incarnation, from series 5 onwards.
In an interview with Kat Angus of Dose magazine, Doctor Who writer Russell T. Davies commented on the character, “So when the new series starts next year with the new Doctor, you don’t just get Matt Smith coming on, you also get Karen Gillan as his new companion. I think Amy Pond will be hugely welcomed, because ... I think he does need someone. A lot of these stories prove that. There’s been a huge, empty space on the TARDIS for a long time now and I think her arrival will be every bit as big as Matt’s. It’s really exciting, and everything I’ve heard about Karen is that she’s brilliant. It’s one of our plans that I’m most pleased with, actually. We’ve held off on companions for a long time, so you’ll get rewarded with a great, big, strong character in Amy Pond, when she arrives. I think that plan’s been good.”
Casting and initial filmingEdit
Steven Moffat said of the casting for the character, “We saw some amazing actresses for this part. But when Karen came through the door, the game was up—she was funny, clever, gorgeous and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it. A generation of little girls will want to be her.” Doctor Who executive producer and drama chief at BBC Wales Piers Wenger concurred, “We knew Karen was perfect for the role the moment we saw her. She brought an energy and excitement to the part that was just fantastic.”
Gillan commented she was happy to have been cast in the role, and stated, “I am absolutely over the moon at being chosen to play the Doctor’s new companion. The show is such a massive phenomenon that I can’t quite believe I am going to be a part of it. Matt Smith is an incredible actor and it is going to be so much fun to act alongside him—I just can’t wait to get started.”
In October 2009, scenes with the character were shot in Cardiff alongside the Eleventh Doctor; with the character portrayed in a police costume. These were the first scenes shot including the character. In early December 2009, scenes were filmed including the character, with shooting taking place on location in Croatia. The actors were dressed in period costume from a few centuries ago. "The scripts are brilliant and working alongside Karen and the rest of the crew is an inspiration because their work ethic and passion for the show is so admirable," said the actor for the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, on working on the new series.
- Companion (Doctor Who)
- List of Doctor Who supporting characters
- List of companions in Doctor Who spin-offs
- ↑ Mzimba, Lizo (20 July 2009). "New Doctor Who costume revealed". BBC News (BBC). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8158556.stm. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Holmwood, Leigh (29 May 2009). "Doctor Who's new companion unveiled as 21-year-old Karen Gillan". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/29/doctor-who-karen-gillan. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Jones, Lisa (21 July 2009). "Brilliant, says Matt as he steps into the Doctor's new boots on a Welsh beach". Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales: Western Mail & Echo Ltd).
- ↑ "Northampton's Dr Who enjoying 'excellent adventure'". Northampton Chronicle & Echo (Johnston Press). 20 July 2009.
- ↑ "The Name's Pond. Amy Pond - Details emerge about new companion!". BBC News (BBC). 20 July 2009. Archived from the original on 24 July 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090724125120/http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090720_news_02. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- ↑ Angus, Kat (15 December 2009). "More with Doctor Who's Russell T. Davies". TV Casualty (Dose magazine). http://communities.dose.ca/dose/blogs/tvcasualty/archive/2009/12/15/more-with-doctor-who-s-russell-t-davies.aspx. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- ↑ Young, Fiona (6 December 2009). "Drama coach on how Doctor Who's Karen Gillan went from teacher to the Tardis". Scottish Daily Record (www.dailyrecord.co.uk). http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/2009/12/06/drama-coach-on-how-doctor-who-s-karen-gillan-went-from-teacher-to-the-tardis-86908-21877725/. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- ↑ Lewis, Tim (6 October 2009). "Doctor Who new girl is spotted on the beat". Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales: Western Mail & Echo Ltd).
- ↑ "She fits the bill: Dr Who’s new assistant makes an impression in police uniform". Hello magazine (www.hellomagazine.com). 7 October 2009. http://www.hellomagazine.com/film/200910072170/dr-who/matt-smith/karen-gillan/1/. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- ↑ Roche, Elisa (6 October 2009). "Who's the pretty new assistant, Doctor?". The Express (Express Newspapers).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "Dr Who and his glam assistant battle evil forces in the Balkans". Hello magazine (www.hellomagazine.com). 3 December 2009. http://www.hellomagazine.com/film/200912032545/doctor-who/matt-smith/set-filming/1/. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- Wikia has a wiki about this topic: TARDIS Index File.
- The Name's Pond. Amy Pond, BBC
- Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, BBC America
|Companions of the Eleventh Doctor|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|