||This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (December 2009)
Butch is a Tom and Jerry character - a black and white alley cat - who first appeared in the 1943 short, Baby Puss alongside Topsy and the already-established Meathead. Butch is the leader of the alley cat bullies who usually help Tom catch Jerry. In his first appearance, however, Butch was an antagonist, tormenting Tom after Tom's young girl owner treated him like a baby—to the point of dressing Tom up in a diaper, a bonnet, and pink paw mittens. Thus costumed, Tom couldn't help but be a figure of fun—both for Butch and his gang, and for Jerry.
Another notable role for Butch came the short Springtime for Thomas (1946). Here he was addressed as "Dream Boy" (after Jerry's fake letter from Toodles in the cartoon), and he acted as Tom's rival for Toodles' affection.
In other cartoons, Butch was not only Tom's rival in love, but also a sporting opponent, as in Tennis Chumps, or another cat competing with Tom to stay in the house, as in A Mouse in the House and Baby Butch. However, Butch continued to appeared in some cartoons as one of Tom's pals or chums; for example Saturday Evening Puss, Smarty Cat, and Sleepy-Time Tom, where Butch is leader of Tom's buddies.
Tom and Jerry Edit
- Baby Puss
- Springtime for Thomas
- Trap Happy
- A Mouse in the House (as a house cat)
- The Truce Hurts (Cameo appearance)
- Heavenly Puss (Cameo appearance)
- Tennis Chumps
- Saturday Evening Puss
- Casanova Cat
- Sleepy-Time Tom (Cameo appearance)
- Jerry's Cousin (Cameo appearance)
- Life with Tom (Cameo appearance)
- Baby Butch
- Smarty Cat
- The Flying Sorceress (referenced only: his grave lies in the witch's cemetery, next to one seemingly intended for Tom)
- Muscle Beach Tom
- Blue Cat Blues (as a house cat)
- The Karate Guard
Spike and TykeEdit
- Scat Cats (as a house cat)
Tom and Jerry TalesEdit
- Polar Peril
- City Dump Chumps
- Beach Bully Bingo
- Tom Cat, Superstar
- Power Tom
- 24 Karat Kat
- The League of Cats
- Game of Mouse and Cat
- Catfish Follies
- Butch, Spike the bulldog and Toodles are similar to characters previously appearing in the 1941 Hugh Harman short The Alley Cat.
- Butch's appearance in the movie, Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring is very similar to that of Meathead, Tom's orange cat friend who also had a band-aid wrapped around his tail. Color differences aside, Meathead and Butch looked identical here.
- From the Tom and Jerry Movie, Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring and forward, Butch has a band-aid wrapped around his tail, and his voice parodies Bobcat Goldthwait. However, in the second season of Tom and Jerry: Tales Butch has a gruffer, generic "Brooklyn tough" accent.
- William Hanna, Billy Bletcher, Don Messick, Paul Frees, Daws Butler: Voices/Vocal Effects in The Hanna-Barbera era (1940 - 1958) shorts (alternating)
- Frank Graham: 1946 short Springtime for Thomas
- Jim Cummings: Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring
- Tony Cervone: The Karate Guard
- Tony Cervone, later Colin Murdoch: Tom and Jerry Tales