Dark Kahn is the result of Darkseid's essence fusing with that of Shao Kahn. This event occured when Shao Kahn attempted to flee from Raiden, who struck him with a lightning bolt, sending him into a portal previously opened by Quan Chi. At the same time, Darkseid was struck by Superman's eye beams while trying to escape through a Boom Tube. This caused the fusion of the two portals (which can be seen in both of the cut-scenes), and the fusion of the two emperors. After he was created, his mere existence was the cause of the merging between the MK world and the DC world, and the "Kombat Rage" which slowly attempted to consume everyone: superheroes, villans, and kombatants alike.
Dark Kahn, being a fusion of Darkseid and Shao Kahn, has all the powers of both. He also has the ability to instill "Kombat Rage" into the fighters; the closer they are, the stonger the urge to fight is.
When he is defeated, he explodes and only lava is left on the ground, which apparently releases the essesnces of both Shao Kahn and Darkseid. Having all the abilities of Shao Kahn and Darkseid, he is incredibly tough. Like Shao Kahn and Darkseid, he has super strength. One of his moves employs the use of Shao Kahn's hammer.
- Dark Kahn is the first boss in a Mortal Kombat game to not be mentioned in any previous game, having been created specifically for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. He is also the first boss to be a fusion of two characters.
- Dark Kahn, being made of rock like Darkseid, shouldn't bleed.
- ↑ Adam Hernandez and Jason Wilson, "Defeating Dark Kahn Strategies," Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe Prima Official Game Guide (Roseville: Prima Games, 2008), 41.
- ↑ John Vogel, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe: Beginnings (New York: DC Comics, 2008). Unfortunately, the comic does not have page numbers, but on what would arguably be the first page we see the line "Dark Kahn is born!" with an emphasis on the character for the next several pages.
- ↑ Carolyn Petit, "Review of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe: Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)," cnet (11/20/2008).