Dynamic Network Services, Inc. is a network services company best-known for its free DynDNS dynamic DNS service, which allows users to have a subdomain that points to a computer with regularly-changing IP addresses, such as those served by many consumer-level Internet service providers. An update client installed on the user's computer, or built into a networked device such as a router or webcam, keeps the hostname up to date with its current IP address. Another popular free service provided by the company is internet content filtering. DynDNS also offers paid domain registrations, recursive DNS, e-mail forwarding and redirection, SSL certificates, network monitoring, URL redirection, and Virtual private server hosting.
Dynamic Network Services Inc. (abbreviated Dyn Inc.) was started in 1998 as a free service. It has since expanded to nearly four million users and is expanding at an ever-increasing pace. The company now also offers premium services for consumers (DynDNS®) and enterprise businesses (Dynect®).
In 2006, the company moved again to a location on Elm Street in Manchester, New Hampshire, with nearly triple the space of the previous office.
The company launched the Dynect® Platform in October 2007 in response to a growing need for enterprise solutions from their DynDNS® customer base.
Buy outs - ControversyEdit
On April 2010 Dyn buys EveryDNS and in August 30 EditDNS. That way the free DNS market with only a few players. Some users have complained about the mergin process on the case of EveryDNS and the users of EditDNS have expressed concerns about that company managing now their domain zones.
The DynDNS® update API is used by many other businesses and systems. Released as an open system, the intent was to allow easy control by third-party developers. Since its inception in 1998, the DynDNS® API has been used by a number of different applications and companies, including Netgear, OpenDNS, Norton DNS, and No-IP
A number of router manufacturers have adopted the API to include update capabilities in their devices, including Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Cisco, Sonicwall, Belkin, Acorp and many others. Due to the open nature of the API, clients are not regulated and therefore it is impossible to track how many different devices support the API.
There is a certification program available for third-party products, but certification under the program is not required for use of the API.
- In April 2006, DynDNS received a "Best Buy" rating and a perfect 10 out of 10 rating on Overall Value, Performance, and Ease of Use from the Consumer Guide.
- In January 2007, DynDNS was named "One of Business NH Magazine's Best Company to Work For in NH".
- In September 2007, DynDNS was ranked 73rd in the US among the "Top Companies in Telecommunications" and 11th overall in New Hampshire by trade publication Inc., thanks to a 208.7% growth rate since 2003.
- Also in September 2007, DynDNS was listed on the new Inc. 5000 list, an add-on to the Inc. 500 list, which is for companies that have seen stellar growth during the past several years.
- In December 2007, DynDNS was rated the number one small business to work for in NH by Business New Hampshire magazine.
- In December 2008, DynDNS was rated as the number two best business to work for in NH by Business New Hampshire magazine.
- In December 2009, DynDNS was rated as the number two Best Small Company to work for in NH by Business New Hampshire magazine.
- ↑ "Dynamic DNS Network Services, LLC Summary Screen". http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearch/CorpSearchSummary.asp?ReadFromDB=True&UpdateAllowed=&FEIN=043580472. Retrieved 2006-11-30.
- ↑ "Delaware Division of Corporations Entity Search". https://sos-res.state.de.us/tin/GINameSearch.jsp. Retrieved 2006-11-30. "File Number 3685450"
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2008-08-25). DynDNS Spring Server In Private Beta. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-08-31.
- ↑ Netgear.com
- ↑ "Norton DNS Public Beta FAQ". Symantec. http://www.nortondns.com/faq/. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- ↑ No-IP.org
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2006-04-13). DynDNS Receives "Best Buy" Ranking From Consumer Guide. Press release. Retrieved on 2006-11-30.
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2007-01-04). DynDNS Named One of Business NH Magazine's Best Company to Work For in NH. Press release. Retrieved on 2007-01-04.
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2007-09-07). Dynamic Network Services Incorporated Reports 208.7% Growth. Press release. Retrieved on 2007-09-07.
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2007-09-12). Dynamic Network Services Named to Inc. 5000 List. Press release. Retrieved on 2007-09-12.
- ↑ Dynamic Network Services, Inc. (2007-12-05). Dynamic Network Services selected as Best Small Company to Work for in New Hampshire. Press release. Retrieved on 2007-12-05.