Orville is a cat who was converted into a radio-controlled quadcopter and renamed Orvillecopter. After Orville was killed in a car accident, his owner, Bart Jansen, collaborated with Arjen Beltman to create the "half cat, half machine." Orvillecopter based on Lotus T580, had his first test flight on March 9 2012.
Paddy Johnson commented that deceased pets have been used in art before, calling it "sort of a European flavor of art making." Katinka Simonse, a Dutch artist known as TINKEBELL, killed her cat Pinkeltje and made it into a purse.
Graffiti reading "Kill the animal killers" and "Shame" was written on the RAI convention center. The Dutch Party for the Animals condemned Orvillecopter and will send letters of complaint to KunstRAI organizers and RAI. Organizer Liesbeth Hemelrijk defended Jansen to the Los Angeles Times, "Even though artist Bart Jansen loved his cat when it was still alive and cared so much for it that he turned it into art after it was run over by a car, people declare him the worst person in the country."
- ↑ "Overreden kat omgetoverd tot vliegende helikopter". Het Parool. 4 June 2012. http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/287/OPMERKELIJK/article/detail/3265778/2012/06/04/Overreden-kat-omgetoverd-tot-vliegende-helikopter.dhtml. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- ↑ Suzannah Hills (2012-05-06). "Cats away! Artist turns his dead pet into flying helicopter after it is killed by a car | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154283/Cats-away-Artist-turns-dead-pet-flying-helicopter-killed-car.html. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ↑ "Bart Jansen's Helicopter Cat On Display At Kunstrai Art Festival In Amsterdam | Strange News | Sky News". News.sky.com. 2008-06-23. http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16240998. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ↑ "Dutch artist turns dead cat into remote-controlled helicopter, dubbed ‘Orvillecopter’". NY Daily News. 2012-06-04. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/dutch-artist-turns-dead-cat-remote-controlled-helicopter-dubbed-orvillecopter-article-1.1089478. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Popkin, Helen A.S.. "Dead cat copter: Art or 'macabre' pet send off?". MSNBC. http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/technology/gadgetbox/dead-cat-copter-art-or-macabre-pet-send-812966. Retrieved June 05, 2012.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Orvillecopter, the stuffed helicopter cat, sparks global outrage - latimes.com
- ↑ Veel kritiek op maker helikopterkat tijdens KunstRAI - KUNST - PAROOL
- ↑ A Dead Cat Flies. But Is It Art? - Forbes
- ↑ Orvillecopter rises: value of cat-helicopter increase tenfold
- ↑ Adamoae, Ana-Maria. "Cele mai FRUMOASE FOTOGRAFII din 2012 (partea a II-a)" (in Romanian). Evenimentul zilei. http://www.evz.ro/detalii/stiri/cele-mai-reusite-fotografii-ale-anului-partea-a-ii-a-galerie-foto-1014686.html. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- ↑ "In pictures: Animals of 2012". BBC Online. December 23, 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20011976. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- ↑ "Tổng hợp chuyện lạ 2012 qua từng tháng" (in Vietnamese). Viet Times Australia. December 28, 2012. http://www.viet-times.com.au/tin-tuc/tin-tong-hop/282887-tong-hop-chuyen-la-2012-qua-tung-thang. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Dutch Artist Shocks with Dead Cat Helicopter". Der Spiegel Magazine. 6/5/2012. http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/dutch-artist-bart-jansen-turns-dead-cat-orville-into-a-helicopter-a-837029.html. Retrieved June 05, 2012.